What is Depression?
Depression is a feeling of severe despondency and dejection. Fortunately, it is curable. Depression causes feelings of sadness and/or a loss of interest in activities once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease a person’s ability to function at work and at home.
Symptoms of Depression:
Although there are multiple types of depression as every symptom varies accordingly. But, there are some common symptoms of depression which helps in knowing an individual is depressed or not. They are:
- Persistent feelings of sadness, hopelessness, worthlessness, or emptiness
- Irritability, frustration, or restlessness
- Loss of interest and hope in hobbies that used to be highly enjoyable
- Sleeping disturbances, too much of sleep, insomnia
- Fatigue and lack of energy
- Difficulty in thinking clearly, remembering and concentrating
- Appetite or sudden weight changes
- Thoughts of suicide, having no interest in life
- Physical symptoms such as headaches, stomachaches, or back pain.
How to overcome depression?
Depression is definitely curable. One can live a normal or better life he/she used to live before by getting treatment on depression. Here are some of the effective methods to overcome depression:
- Regular exercise, consumption of healthy foods feels you a lot better
- Get an adequate amount of sleep every night so that you wake up refreshed
- Create a goal for yourself irrespective of large and small and completely focus on it
- Journal your thoughts, it does not matter good or bad before you go to bed
- Make a list of songs you love and listen quite often as music motivates you to do a lot of positive things
- Watch movies that make you happy
- Find a creative way to express your emotions
- Regularly follow your hobby
- Walk away from the people and things which fill a lot of negativity in your life
- Do not isolate yourself; be around the people you love a lot (friends, family, colleague, etc.)
- Instead of worrying too much about the future, just live in the past and appreciate people around you
- Meditate to relax and refocus your thoughts
These methods will definitely help in overcoming depression and eventually you will meet a better person standing in front of the mirror.